Research & Technology Manager
ASD is currently looking for a proactive and experienced Research & Technology Manager to join its international and dynamic team in Brussels.
The AeroSpace and Defence Industries Association of Europe (ASD) represents the aeronautics, space, defence and security industries in Europe in all matters of common interest with the objective of promoting and supporting the competitive development of the sector. ASD and its members are committed to sustainable aviation and continuously strive to reduce aviation’s environmental footprint.
SUMMARY OF ROLE
The overall objective is to develop and deploy the ASD research policy regarding international and European regulations. To this aim, the R&T Manager proposes/coordinates initiatives amongst ASD Members with the objective to anticipate and analyse legislation in order to timely reach compromise to be able to issue statements towards the regulators on behalf of the industry.
The R&T Manager follows/supervises the research topics that ASD is dealing with. In doing so, he/she receives the mandate from the ASD Secretariat to undertake specific tasks in the best interest of the European Aerospace and Defence Industries.
The R&T topics encompass the European Research and Innovation Framework Programme. The R&T manager especially focussed its work on Civil Aviation related research policies, but also follows Security, Defence and Space research topics in coordination with the ASD staff. To do so, the R&T Manager will work closely with the Strategy Director, the Civil Aviation Director, the Defence & Security Director, the Chairman of the ASD R&T Commission and other bodies in order to facilitate the coordination of Framework Programmes related topics. The R&T Manager will coordinate with other Managers of the Association.
The R&T Manager coordinates with other ASD transverse Commissions and ASD Business Units, including relevant ASD tasks forces and working groups. The R&T Manager may be requested to assist in the set-up, the coordination or the technical support to sub-groups created by the RTC for specific purposes.
The profile entails significant exposure and interaction with Executive and Senior Management across the breadth of the aerospace industry. The R&T Manager develops privileged relationships with European Institution Officials.
The R&T Manager represents the Association in different fora and has to arrange for convincing representations of the industry’s positions. The R&T Manager is also in charge of interfacing with the ACARE Community. The R&T Manager works in close collaboration with his/her counterparts in other associations in other sectors covering the same research topics to various degrees depending on the interest of the association in doing so.
The R&T Manager reports to the Strategy Director. He/she is the Secretary of the R&T Commission (RTC).
The RTC agrees and implements actions to ensure that R&T is maintained as a top EU priority. RTC also works with all other relevant European and National Associations’ Committees to implement effective lobby actions. The R&T Manager ensures that all relevant bodies report/share information effectively to the RTC.
OVERALL RESPONSIBILITIES AND OBJECTIVES
Key areas of responsibility of the R&T Manager include
- Supporting the Secretariat and efficient operations of the ASD R&T Commission
- Screening of the regulations under development at International and European Levels
- Drafting of Position Papers and Communication documents
- Contributing to the definition of the lobbying strategy
- Building and maintaining working relationships with regulator officials based on confidence
- Ensuring coordination with other bodies, internal and external to ASD
- Organizing Workshops and Seminars when applicable
- The R&T Manager should be familiar with the European framework programs (especially R&T). She/He must have an understanding of the functioning of the European Institutions as well as a deep knowledge of the European research legislation.
- The experience of the research topics related to the aerospace and defence industry and/or aviation Joint Undertaking activities (Clean Sky and/or SESAR) is a plus.
- Technical background and/or industrial background in aviation is highly recommendable.
- He/she should have excellent communication skills in English both oral and written. Another European language is a plus.
- The R&T Manager should have strong analytical skills, as well as strong organisational skills. He/she must be an outstanding team player and an excellent project manager as well as deliverable oriented i.e. being able to work efficiently under tight deadlines with a consequent level of pressure and willingness to work positively in the consensus-oriented environment of a European Association.
A full-time job in a dynamic and challenging environment with an attractive employment contract, including benefits (lunch vouchers, insurance and public transport). Starting date: as soon as possible.
All applicants should send their CV and cover letter in English to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the reference “R&T”. The closing date for applications is April 30th, 2018.